Senator, Oklahomans rally at State Capitol to legalize medical marijuana today | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – Supporters of medical marijuana will gather at the State Capitol in just a few hours for medical marijuana lobby day.
According to a survey earlier this year, the majority of Americans who answered said marijuana should be legal.
In Oklahoma, Senator Constance Johnson has filed a new law to legalize marijuana for medical use in our state.
Sen. Johnson is called for the regulation and taxing of marijuana similar to the way alcohol is regulated.
Johnson claims it would refocus law enforcement on real threats and crimes rather than a substance argued to be “less harmful than alcohol.”
While thousands claim the drug is dangerous, Johnson said Oklahoma is getting closer to legalizing it.
Sen. Johnson said, “We’ve legalized alcohol which is far more deadly and dangerous than marijuana.”
The support rally starts at 9 a.m. and last through the day.
The group organizing the event said its goal is simply to urge legislators to support their stance.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed