Samsung unveils first curved smartphone screen | News
For all you Samsung fans, Samsung plans to introduce a smartphone with a curved display screen, an executive of the South Korean company said Wednesday.
D.J. Lee, Samsung’s head of mobile marketing, made the announcement at an event in Seoul to roll out the Galaxy Gear smartwatch and Galaxy Note 3 smartphone.
He said the phone would be available in October, presumably with a limited release in South Korea.
Unfortunately, that’s about all the detail he provided — no exact release date, no details on the design, no price and no word on where it will be available.
Curved screens are a rarity among smartphones, which typically feature flat, rectangular displays. But Samsung has been tinkering with next-generation screens for a while. Early this year at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the company showed off prototypes of a line of flexible display screens it calls YOUM.
“This new form factor will really begin to change how people interact with their devices and open up new lifestyle possibilities,” Brian Berkeley, senior vice president of Samsung’s display lab, said at the January event. “And it’s only going to get better.”
A bendable, plastic display screen could also be virtually unbreakable, although it’s unclear whether the new phone — which could be a version of the new Galaxy Note 3 — would be plastic or some sort of step along the way.
A curved screen would also boost Samsung’s status as a leader on the mobile innovation front. Samsung Galaxy phones have outsold Apple’s iPhone during various periods over the past year, as Apple has been dinged by critics who say the company’s phones are no longer breaking new ground.
There were similar criticisms of the newly released iPhone 5S, which was viewed by many as a baby step forward, although reviews of the device have been mostly raves, and it sold a record-setting 9 million units in its first weekend on the market.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
- SILVER ALERT CANCELED: Authorities issue Silver Alert for 89-year-old
- Chickasha man arrested after allegedly raping 64-year-old neighbor
- Chickasha landlord allegedly asks for rent at gunpoint
- Caught on camera, Chickasha woman’s wild ride
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder