Tiredness to blame for deadly accident | News
EL RENO, Okla.- Authorities in Canadian County suspect tiredness played a role in a deadly accident on Friday morning.
Officials say 28-year-old Adrian Cortez was driving a Ford pickup on U.S. Highway 270 when he left the roadway.
That’s when he over-corrected to the left and then over-corrected to the right before sliding off the highway.
The truck hit a fence post before vaulting into the air and landing on its roof.
Cortez was pinned for about an hour and a half while the Calumet and El Reno Fire Departments used the Hurst tool to free him.
He died at the scene from his injuries.
Officials say they believe Cortez was falling asleep behind the wheel when the accident occurred.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged car thief
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed