NEW: Gov. Fallin won’t act in baby Veronica case | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – Governor Mary Fallin says she has spoken with South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley about the case of Dusten Brown, the biological father in the middle of a custody battle with a Charleston couple.
Tuesday South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley signed an extradition order for Dusten Brown, baby Veronica’s biological father who is a member of the Cherokee Nation here in Oklahoma.
It orders the extradition of Brown to South Carolina to face felony custodial interference charges for failing to take 3-year-old Veronica to Charleston to be reunited with her legal adoptive parents.
Officials arrested Brown in Sequoyah County Monday; he quickly bonded out.
He also refused extradition without a governor’s warrant.
South Carolina Governor Haley sent that warrant to Governor Mary Falling who Tuesday said she wouldn’t not act on it before a September 12 Oklahoma hearing on the case.
Governor Fallin issued the following statement.
“As a mother, my heart goes out to Veronica, who has been placed in a terrible situation. I can also imagine the pain that both her adopted and biological parents are feeling.”
“As governor, my job is to ensure the law is upheld. My legal staff and I are currently reviewing the request for rendition of Mr. Brown to South Carolina. Should that request adhere to the letter and spirit of the law, I will sign it. My hope, however, continues to be that sending Mr. Brown to face criminal charges in South Carolina is unnecessary.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel