Good Samaritan uses KFOR report to give amputee leg up after theft | News
YUKON, Okla. –Just over 17 months after a strange theft left a retired Yukon firefighter looking for leads, he got a break in the case in an unexpected spot.
Wayne Mosley and his wife had just returned from a vacation in Dallas and began unloading the car at their home.
One by one, they took each bag out of the vehicle and brought it into the house.
With one last bag out by the car, Mosely began walking toward the driveway.
Mosley said, “I came back to get the remaining piece and it was gone.”
The couple spotted the thieves vehicle driving off and tried to chase after it.
However, it was too late.
The couple might have simply counted the theft as a loss had it not been what was inside that duffel bag.
Mosely said, “The artwork on it was ghost flames and it had a 24k gold leaf “S” which is Sabolich’s emblem. There are only two of those in the whole world.”
Eight years ago, Mosley lost his leg in a motorcycle accident.
Inside the luggage was Mosley’s custom-made prosthetic running leg.
As months passed, the amputee never imagined he’d see that prosthetic again, until he received a mysterious instant message on Facebook.
He said, “Are you missing a leg? That pops up on my Facebook.”
The stranger began revealing a fascinating chain of events that started with an auto auction and impounded vehicle.
The car had been towed, never claimed and was about to be auctioned off.
As crews were cleaning the car, they discovered the $35,000 prosthetic leg in the back seat.
The tow truck operator handed the leg over to his neighbor, a doctor who launched his own online investigation.
Mosley said, “He gets on the Internet and Googles stolen prosthetic and my [NewsChannel 4] news story comes up from a year and a half ago. He looks and says, ‘Wow. It’s the same one.”
The doctor pulled Mosley’s name from our report and immediately reached out through social media.
With the exception of a few rusty bolts, the leg is in remarkably good condition.
It took a year and a half but Wayne Mosley has finally been reunited with his long lost leg.
Mosley explains, “I would have never guessed in a million years it would happen like this!”
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- UPDATE: Man arrested with legs wrapped in duct tape after Chickasha bomb scare
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes
- Four recovering after being involved in wrecks related to fog