Lady fights off attacking coyote | News
MUSTANG, Okla. — Imagine going head to head with a coyote. That’s exactly what happened to a Mustang woman last week and her weapon of choice might surprise you.
NewsChannel 4 spoke with the woman who says she was just trying to protect her dog.
Barking dogs were like the sounds of dinner bells for a coyote roaming through a Mustang subdivision at 10:00 in the morning.
“I heard this scream out of Heinrich that I had never heard before. I knew there was something wrong, but I didn’t know what,” dog owner, Frances Curtis, says.
Frances Curtis walked out of her back door to see her wiener dog, Heinrich, screaming because a coyote had latched on to him. She had two choices.
Curtis says, “Do I go run down the hall; go get the gun in the safe, or do I just go after this thing?”
She grabbed the closest thing to her; a shovel.
“I hit it like a baseball bat,” Curtis says. “I just ‘wham,’ you know? Hit it twice and it ran off.”
With the help of her neighbor and his children, Curtis got her dog to a veterinarian in time to save him.
But a coyote in a crowded subdivision is an unusual sight, especially in the day light.
Neighbor, Enrique Lozano, says, “It’s a big deal. The coyote didn’t get scared when she stepped out. She had to beat him with a shovel in order for him to get off the dog. It’s pretty scary.”
Veterinarians say the strange behavior could indicate rabies in the animal.
“We got babies over here and we got babies over here and they play out in the yard,” Lozano says.
Curtis is just glad she was beating the coyote off her animal and not a child. If you see a coyote in your area, it should run away from you in fear.
If it doesn’t, do not approach it. Instead contact animal control immediately.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Where to celebrate St. Patty’s day in OKC
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff