Mom arrested for leaving twins in hot car while shopping at beauty store | News
YUKON, Okla.- A Yukon mother was arrested over the weekend after she allegedly left her twin toddlers inside a hot car while she shopped at a local beauty store.
Police say while 35-year-old Desiree Bolch shopped in “Ulta” for more than half an hour, her 3-year-old twins were left inside a sweltering car.
An off-duty officer saw Bolch go into the store, leaving her children unattended.
Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow, with the Oklahoma City Police Department, said, “There were two young girls inside the car. There was no one around the car, no adult. They were strapped into their car seats. It was obviously hot outside.”
The officer immediately called for help.
According to police, Bolch did not come out of the store for another 39 minutes.
The officer confronted her and then took her into custody on two counts of child neglect.
Wardlow said, “Again, these kids are 3 1/2-years-old. They are defenseless. If something happened, someone tried to break into the car, there is nothing they can do. Obviously, parents shouldn’t leave kids this young unattended.”
Experts say it’s not only a form of neglect, but a dangerous move that put her children at risk.
John Graham, with EMSA, said, “It’s a matter of seconds, once you turn the car off with the windows up, the heat soars almost immediately.”
While it was a bit rainy on Monday, the temperature at 1:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon was 98 degrees.
EMSA paramedics say this year alone, 20 children across the country have died as a result of being left in a hot car.
Paramedics say it doesn’t matter where you are going, you should never leave your child in the car, not even for a minute.
Graham said, “Your intention is I’m just going in to get one thing, next thing you know it’s 10 minutes and by then it can be too late.”
We tried to contact the woman in this case; however, at this time she has not returned our calls.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Man charged after allegedly attempting to steal from Wal-Mart, pulls knife on security
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area