Bryan sentenced to life in prison, plans to appeal | News
MUSTANG, Okla. — A Mustang woman convicted of murder learns her fate.
Rebecca Bryan has been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.
In late May, a jury convicted Rebecca Bryan of first degree murder for the fatal shooting of Keith Bryan, the former Nichols Hills fire chief.
On Tuesday, the judge handed down the punishment and followed the jury’s recommendation of life without parole.
The shooting took place in September 2011 at the Bryan family home in Mustang.
Bryan claims an intruder shot and killed her husband.
Investigators quickly uncovered a handgun, the alleged murder weapon, hidden in a dryer in the family home and arrested the now 54-year-old wife.
During the trial, prosecutors painted Bryan as a cold-blooded killer and detailed an extramarital affair the suspect had dating back to 2009.
Prosecutors also described Keith Bryan as a dedicated public servant.
Canadian County District Attorney Mike Fields said, “His servant’s heart was clear to everyone, serving others was his life’s work. The sentence honors his memory because it provides justice.”
The defense noted Bryan had been a successful real estate agent with no prior criminal history.
Bryan did not say anything to the judge before the sentence.
The defense didn’t want her to talk because they plan to appeal the verdict.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Caddo Nation headquarters hit by alleged vandals, thieves
- UPDATE: Missing 13-year-old girl found safe
- Three Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- Four in custody after alleged attempted car jacking sends car into south Oklahoma City home
- Police: Two in critical condition after late night apartment shooting, fire starts minutes later
- Police department forced to change popular event name
- Firefighters put out blaze at S.W. OKC apartment complex
- Protesters chain themselves to Devon Tower doors