Becky Bryan gets life without parole for husband’s murder | News
MUSTANG, Okla. — A Mustang woman convicted of murder learns her fate. Rebecca Bryan has been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.
In late May, a jury convicted Rebecca Bryan of first degree murder for the fatal shooting of Keith Bryan, the former Nichols Hills fire chief. On Tuesday, the judge handed down the punishment and followed the jury’s recommendation of life without parole.
The shooting took place in September 2011 at the Bryan family home in Mustang. Bryan claims an intruder shot and killed her husband.
Investigators quickly uncovered a handgun, the alleged murder weapon, hidden in a dryer in the family home and arrested the now 54-year-old wife.
During the trial, prosecutors painted Bryan as a cold-blooded killer and detailed an extramarital affair the suspect had dating back to 2009.
Prosecutors also described Keith Bryan as a dedicated public servant.
Canadian County District Attorney Mike Fields said, “His servant’s heart was clear to everyone, serving others was his life’s work. The sentence honors his memory because it provides justice.”
The defense noted Bryan had been a successful real estate agent with no prior criminal history.
Bryan did not say anything to the judge before the sentence.
The defense didn’t want her to talk because they plan to appeal the verdict.
For a legal analysis of this case, Linda Cavanaugh welcomes criminal defense attorney, Emily Kirkpatrick.
[ooyala code="piNHQ1ZDpytAiMuOvOY2Zb9C5ujaqy_v" player_id="df513009265e4427aaf5f0342a75c90e"]
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Rule change could make it harder for some people to go skydiving
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Where to celebrate St. Patty’s day in OKC
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff