Dogs rescued in animal cruelty case | News
EL RENO, Okla. – Canadian County Sheriff’s Office is dealing with a disturbing case of animal abuse.
Tuesday deputies arrested Marla Satterfield for 33 counts of cruelty to animals after they said she ran a puppy mill from her home southeast of El Reno.
Pictures show the dogs’ fur matted so thick, investigators said they believe they had not been groomed in years.
“These animals are victims; they can’t speak for themselves,” Dana Puckett said. “They have no choice but to sit there and slowly suffer and die.”
Puckett works with Pet Angels Rescue; the organization that took in some of the dogs.
She said one poodle was found with a 2-week-old puppy matted to the poodle’s fur; the dog had to drag the puppy everywhere it went.
“She had 33 animals that were alive but who knows how long they would be alive,” Undersheriff Christ West said. ”There was three that were dead and who knows what else had taken place.”
News Channel 4 tried to ask Satterfield what was taking place but when she drove up to her home, she wouldn’t stop.
“She just had them running in a group running wherever, breading with whatever,” Puckett said.
Investigators said the property was littered with trash and water bowls were dirtied with debris.
Now, many of the dogs that survived are battling sickness.
“It’s frustrating,” Puckett said. “It comes down to if people see these things happening, they have to report it. Don’t turn a blind eye.”
If you want to adopt or help, click here.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes