Westboro Baptist Church protests Game 5 in OKC | News
OKLAHOMA CITY - While Thunder fans geared up to support Oklahoma City in Game 5 against the Houston Rockets, another group protested at Wednesday night’s game.
The Westboro Baptist Church picketed the Thunder’s game against the Rockets and will be at Thursday’s game between the Chicago Bulls and Brooklyn Nets.
Church leaders said the protest is in response to former Washington Wizards star Jason Collins’ announcement that he is gay.
Monday, Collins became the first active member of the four major professional sporting leagues to announce that he is homosexual.
Many across the NBA, including Thunder star Kevin Durant, showed support for Collins, saying as long as he is happy, “that’s cool with me.”
The OKC Thunder lost to the Houston Rockets (107 – 100) and will play Game 6 in Houston Friday at 8:30 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Heading downtown for the game tonight? Here are the routes to avoid:
- Police warning residents, businesses of alleged “fence cutter” still on the run
- OKC police warn parents after possible attempted abduction of student
- Lanes back open after car rolls near I-240 and I-40 bridge, injuries unknown
- Residents ticketed for parking on their own property