Westboro Baptist Church protests Game 5 in OKC | News
OKLAHOMA CITY - While Thunder fans geared up to support Oklahoma City in Game 5 against the Houston Rockets, another group protested at Wednesday night’s game.
The Westboro Baptist Church picketed the Thunder’s game against the Rockets and will be at Thursday’s game between the Chicago Bulls and Brooklyn Nets.
Church leaders said the protest is in response to former Washington Wizards star Jason Collins’ announcement that he is gay.
Monday, Collins became the first active member of the four major professional sporting leagues to announce that he is homosexual.
Many across the NBA, including Thunder star Kevin Durant, showed support for Collins, saying as long as he is happy, “that’s cool with me.”
The OKC Thunder lost to the Houston Rockets (107 – 100) and will play Game 6 in Houston Friday at 8:30 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed