Westboro Baptist Church protests Game 5 in OKC | News
OKLAHOMA CITY - While Thunder fans geared up to support Oklahoma City in Game 5 against the Houston Rockets, another group protested at Wednesday night’s game.
The Westboro Baptist Church picketed the Thunder’s game against the Rockets and will be at Thursday’s game between the Chicago Bulls and Brooklyn Nets.
Church leaders said the protest is in response to former Washington Wizards star Jason Collins’ announcement that he is gay.
Monday, Collins became the first active member of the four major professional sporting leagues to announce that he is homosexual.
Many across the NBA, including Thunder star Kevin Durant, showed support for Collins, saying as long as he is happy, “that’s cool with me.”
The OKC Thunder lost to the Houston Rockets (107 – 100) and will play Game 6 in Houston Friday at 8:30 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Man charged after allegedly attempting to steal from Wal-Mart, pulls knife on security
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area