Back from beyond: Man encounters “Heaven” | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – Days before Christmas, Don and Rita Houston were lost in the holiday shuffle.
How quickly things can change.
Rita awoke that night to discover her husband of more than a decade wasn’t breathing.
She said, “He was just laying there. Nothing. No breathing. Nothing.”
At the hospital, machines were the only thing keeping Don Houston’s heart beating.
Doctors gave the family no hope he would ever regain consciousness.
Rita said, “A doctor came out and said there is no response. He’s not responding. I asked the ER doctor if we could go pray for him because I didn’t want to hear no more. He said yes we could. We went in and prayed.”
The family made a prayer circle around their loved one; hands grasping onto faith and each other.
Rita said, “We all prayed and prayed and prayed and God heard our prayers.”
To everyone’s amazement, the 62-year-old man with a long history of heart trouble woke up.
Don told us, “I never suspected I’d go to bed and die but I did.”
Don had a heavenly story to tell from the “other side.”
He said, “I was suddenly in a large white room. It was just white. Everything was so surreal, so peaceful. It was not a dream. It was so real. I mean it was REAL. Angels were there. God spoke to me. It happened.”
Don said he remembers a parade of angels and a bright room with two distinct doors.
Don claims he was escorted through the “door of second chances” and back to his grief-stricken family.
“The angel said, ‘Don, come with me.’ We went through the doorway that she said and as soon as we went through that door I started hearing, ‘Don, Mr. Houston.’ It was the doctors and nurses.”
Don said he believes he survived a massive heart attack for a divine purpose.
This once quiet Christian is now telling everyone there is something more.
“I do know for a fact, there is something out there and you’re not alone. When you pass you’re not alone. There is something there to comfort you and help you along the way and they’ll lead you. You need to get God in your heart because you never know when you’re going to pass.”
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed