Westbrook to undergo surgery for knee injury | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – Bad news for the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Officials announced Thunder guard Russell Westbrook will undergo surgery in the coming days to repair a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee.
They said they don’t have a timetable for his return.
Westbrook suffered the injury in the second quarter of Game 2 of the First Round of the Western Conference Playoffs.
The three-time NBA All-Star averaged 23.2 points (6th in NBA), 7.4 assists (7th), a career-high 5.2 rebounds and 1.77 steals (9th) in 82 games this season.
“Our players’ health is our first and foremost concern,” Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti said. “We have thoroughly discussed this with Russell. Despite being the competitor and teammate that he is, he respects and understands the decision and is committed to come back even stronger.”
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Man charged after allegedly attempting to steal from Wal-Mart, pulls knife on security
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area