Westbrook to undergo surgery for knee injury | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – Bad news for the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Officials announced Thunder guard Russell Westbrook will undergo surgery in the coming days to repair a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee.
They said they don’t have a timetable for his return.
Westbrook suffered the injury in the second quarter of Game 2 of the First Round of the Western Conference Playoffs.
The three-time NBA All-Star averaged 23.2 points (6th in NBA), 7.4 assists (7th), a career-high 5.2 rebounds and 1.77 steals (9th) in 82 games this season.
“Our players’ health is our first and foremost concern,” Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti said. “We have thoroughly discussed this with Russell. Despite being the competitor and teammate that he is, he respects and understands the decision and is committed to come back even stronger.”
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials investigating if teen boy really did ride to Hawaii in plane’s landing gear
- Car slams into Oklahoma City school bus, no one seriously injured
- Man burned, family without home after Easter fire
- Heading downtown for the game tonight? Here are the routes to avoid:
- Police warning residents, businesses of alleged “fence cutter” still on the run