Big House draws big crowds for tournament | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – Thousands of fans are gathered at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds for the state basketball tournament.
Ernest Edwards, a Roland Rangers fan, said,“We would like to take that gold ball home.”
Lyden McDonald is a boy with big dreams who said he hopes to play basketball in the Big House someday.
He and his team, the Roland Rangers, traveled about three hours to get to this year’s tournament.
When asked about the arena, he said, “It’s big!”
Fans can tell you the tournament is always exciting but said it’s how everyone comes together that really makes it special.
Jake Beaver said, “This’ll be the first time we’ve ever been down here.”
His wife said, “It’s been really fun; it’s been a nice getaway.”
For many fans, it’s not all about winning.
Although, they said that would make the experience even sweeter.
“We come every year now whether our team makes it or not,” Edwards said. “It’s a great atmosphere.”
The tournament gives small towns across the state a reason to gather under one roof.
Beaver said, “That’s the best thing about it, hometown atmosphere.”
Tyrone Lott said, “It’s good for the state to bring all the classes together and play the game of basketball.”
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Man charged after allegedly attempting to steal from Wal-Mart, pulls knife on security
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area