Defense spending cuts could largely affect Okla. jobs | News
WASHINGTON – Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, is making dire predictions about what will happen if government spending cuts kick in March 1.
He said most of the Defense Department’s 800,000 civilian workers will have to be furloughed starting in late April.
The impact would be felt strongly here in Okla. with over 10,000 jobs at bases like Tinker.
The bad news right now, Congress is not in session this week so when member return Monday they will have just four days to come up with a deal.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
- SILVER ALERT CANCELED: Authorities issue Silver Alert for 89-year-old
- Chickasha man arrested after allegedly raping 64-year-old neighbor
- Chickasha landlord allegedly asks for rent at gunpoint
- Caught on camera, Chickasha woman’s wild ride
- Firefighters using extreme caution battling raging house fire with ammunition inside
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan