Defense spending cuts could largely affect Okla. jobs | News
WASHINGTON – Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, is making dire predictions about what will happen if government spending cuts kick in March 1.
He said most of the Defense Department’s 800,000 civilian workers will have to be furloughed starting in late April.
The impact would be felt strongly here in Okla. with over 10,000 jobs at bases like Tinker.
The bad news right now, Congress is not in session this week so when member return Monday they will have just four days to come up with a deal.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes