Defense spending cuts could largely affect Okla. jobs | News
WASHINGTON – Secretary of Defense, Leon Panetta, is making dire predictions about what will happen if government spending cuts kick in March 1.
He said most of the Defense Department’s 800,000 civilian workers will have to be furloughed starting in late April.
The impact would be felt strongly here in Okla. with over 10,000 jobs at bases like Tinker.
The bad news right now, Congress is not in session this week so when member return Monday they will have just four days to come up with a deal.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Where to celebrate St. Patty’s day in OKC
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff