Street crews treating roads for snow and ice | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – The city said crews in 12 trucks are treating slick spots along the City’s snow routes Wednesday.
A total of 33 trucks will hit the streets once snow begins to accumulate on the roads or ground temperatures dip below freezing.
Crews will salt and or plow streets exclusively along City’s snow routes
Check snow routes at www.okc.gov.
Ground temperatures are currently above freezing but are expected to drop overnight and remain low through Friday.
Motorists are advised to take extra precautions for the next 48 hours, especially during the morning drive on Thursday and Friday.
Crews worked overnight treating bridges and overpasses and salting slick spots along snow routes.
Salt is in good supply.
According to the city, a salt truck driver drives approximately 200 miles in a 12-hour shift.
- Turn off your automatic sprinkler systems.
- Stay home if you can.
- Remember that posted speed limits are only to be followed during ideal weather conditions. Slow down while driving on snow or ice.
- Use extra caution when driving over bridges and overpasses.
- Give salt trucks plenty of room. Stay at least 100 feet behind them so salt won’t get thrown on your car.
- Plan ahead by getting up and leaving the house earlier.
- Keep at least a three-car distance from the car in front of you
- Steer and brake more slowly than usual.
- Keep warm shoes and clothes in your car.
- Clear all snow and ice from your vehicle before setting out.
- Proceed carefully through intersections.
- Have a plan if you slide off the road, who are you going to call?
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
- SILVER ALERT CANCELED: Authorities issue Silver Alert for 89-year-old
- Chickasha man arrested after allegedly raping 64-year-old neighbor
- Chickasha landlord allegedly asks for rent at gunpoint
- Caught on camera, Chickasha woman’s wild ride
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder