Improving the job situation for our veterans | News
It’s a troubling fact that American veterans are out of work at a rate of three to one compared to the general population.
Earlier this week, Walmart pledged to hire more than 100,000 vets over the next five years.
The hiring will begin Memorial Day and covers vets within 12 months of leaving active duty.
Retired Major General Rita Aragon is working to improve the employment situation for soldiers.
If you or a veteran you know if looking for a job, here are some helpful links:
www.veterancentral.org - A career-oriented social network for veterans.
www.okjobmatch.com - Oklahoma initiative by Department of Commerce, Oklahoma Employment Security Commission, Employer Support Guard and Reserve, Oklahoma Career Tech and Oklahoma Department of Veteran Affairs: breaks out skills for applicant and employer.
www.H2H.jobs.com - National job search for Hiring Heroes. Several hiring events in Midwest City and Lawton areas.
www.ok.ngb.army.mil/ecp.htm - National Guard website for employment
www.ebenfits.va.gov - Veterans Administration National job application site. Must be a registered Veteran.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
- SILVER ALERT CANCELED: Authorities issue Silver Alert for 89-year-old
- Chickasha man arrested after allegedly raping 64-year-old neighbor
- Chickasha landlord allegedly asks for rent at gunpoint
- Caught on camera, Chickasha woman’s wild ride
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder