Improving the job situation for our veterans | News
It’s a troubling fact that American veterans are out of work at a rate of three to one compared to the general population.
Earlier this week, Walmart pledged to hire more than 100,000 vets over the next five years.
The hiring will begin Memorial Day and covers vets within 12 months of leaving active duty.
Retired Major General Rita Aragon is working to improve the employment situation for soldiers.
If you or a veteran you know if looking for a job, here are some helpful links:
www.veterancentral.org - A career-oriented social network for veterans.
www.okjobmatch.com - Oklahoma initiative by Department of Commerce, Oklahoma Employment Security Commission, Employer Support Guard and Reserve, Oklahoma Career Tech and Oklahoma Department of Veteran Affairs: breaks out skills for applicant and employer.
www.H2H.jobs.com - National job search for Hiring Heroes. Several hiring events in Midwest City and Lawton areas.
www.ok.ngb.army.mil/ecp.htm - National Guard website for employment
www.ebenfits.va.gov - Veterans Administration National job application site. Must be a registered Veteran.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Thee Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed