Improving the job situation for our veterans | News
It’s a troubling fact that American veterans are out of work at a rate of three to one compared to the general population.
Earlier this week, Walmart pledged to hire more than 100,000 vets over the next five years.
The hiring will begin Memorial Day and covers vets within 12 months of leaving active duty.
Retired Major General Rita Aragon is working to improve the employment situation for soldiers.
If you or a veteran you know if looking for a job, here are some helpful links:
www.veterancentral.org - A career-oriented social network for veterans.
www.okjobmatch.com - Oklahoma initiative by Department of Commerce, Oklahoma Employment Security Commission, Employer Support Guard and Reserve, Oklahoma Career Tech and Oklahoma Department of Veteran Affairs: breaks out skills for applicant and employer.
www.H2H.jobs.com - National job search for Hiring Heroes. Several hiring events in Midwest City and Lawton areas.
www.ok.ngb.army.mil/ecp.htm - National Guard website for employment
www.ebenfits.va.gov - Veterans Administration National job application site. Must be a registered Veteran.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel