Sooners react to president’s proposed gun controls | News
OKLAHOMA CITY – President Obama laid out several gun control proposals, including the restriction of certain weapons Wednesday.
It’s probably an understatement to say the president’s ideas are being met with skepticism by many Sooners.
“It’s demagoguery at its worst,” Ellis Sheker said. “He wants to use this as an excuse to disarm law-abiding citizens of the United States.”
Ellis and dozens of fellow gun enthusiasts looked on in disgust as the president signed 23 executive orders and then asked Congress to pass universal background checks and reinstate a ban on military style assault weapons.
“This is just an excuse to go after firearms; it’s not going to solve anything,” Sheker said.
“Taking that right is not gonna help because the bad guys are still gonna get the guns,” Dean Snapp said.
As the empty glass cases at H&H illustrate, sales of assault weapons have skyrocketed since the president first began discussing the possibility of gun controls last month.
In addition to banning those sales, the president proposed limiting the sale of high-capacity ammunition magazines.
“What’s the difference if I have four small clips or one large clip,” Snapp said. “You can reload just as quick.”
“They’re talking about attacking law-abiding citizens,” Sheker said. “He’s not going to solve the problem he says that he has with firearms.”
The fight in Congress will be a tough one.
Rep. Tom Cole issued a statement saying, “I will oppose any legislation to limit the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans, including a ban on so-called assault weapons. Restricting freedom is not the solution to gun violence.”
“I will continue to strongly oppose any effort to undermine the Second Amendment,” Sen. James Inhofe said. “An assault weapons ban will have no meaningful effect on gun violence.”
The president has also called for more police officers in schools and bolstering mental health training
Those ideas had some support locally.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel