Christmas package delivery beats record | News
The Christmas packages are rolling in, at least when it comes to FedEx deliveries.
No, there are not reindeer on this ride and the hazards on the route don’t include a tight chimney.
However, the week before Christmas, Terry Columbus’ truck seems more like a sleigh he loads with gifts.
He feels more like Oklahoma City’s very own Santa delivering packages.
“This time of year everybody’s happy to see you and kids are happy to get their presents and it is fun,” Columbus said.
Fun but stressful; the week before Christmas is the busiest time of year for FedEx.
Home after home, more than 100 Oklahoma City FedEx workers are out in full force as holiday helpers.
The week before Christmas more than 20,000 packages are delivered every day across the city.
The deliveries are up 13 percent and beat last year’s local record.
“I think it’s the economy,” local operations manager Tom Compise said. “Then basically, with the early Black Friday, Cyber Monday the way the shipping and the online, it’s just really good for business.”
From the loading dock to the highway, the rush is on to deliver to our doors.
“Oh my gosh it’s like all you can do to get it done and the stress and you’re on edge the whole time,” Columbus said while delivering packages.
After working the hectic holiday rush for 24 years, this is still Columbus’ favorite time of year.
He’ll keep trekking on, delivering the last gift Christmas Eve.
If you need a gift to arrive by Christmas Eve, you have until Dec. 17 to ship your gift and Dec. 22 if you want to express deliver it.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
- SILVER ALERT CANCELED: Authorities issue Silver Alert for 89-year-old
- Chickasha man arrested after allegedly raping 64-year-old neighbor
- Chickasha landlord allegedly asks for rent at gunpoint
- Caught on camera, Chickasha woman’s wild ride
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan
- Eighth suspect arrested in Logan County murder