Yukon Fire Dept. in need of toy donations | News
YUKON, Okla. – The Yukon Fire Department is working to make sure every child in east Canadian County has a toy for Christmas but they need a lot more gifts before this Saturday.
Placing her toy donations under the tree at the fire department, Charlotte Teel imagines the children’s faces opening them on Christmas.
“I know how kids sparkle when they open a present so that’s one of the things that inspired us,” Teel said.
Yukon firefighters are working to make that happen.
They’re collecting toys to donate to parents who need a little help this holiday season but this year the donations are slowly coming in.
With 100 more children in need, this is an especially challenging year.
They are serving 600 children this holiday so they need hundreds of toys.
“It’s heartbreaking, you know, and to give that parent a toy or several toys to take home for them to wrap so they see the joy and the laughter their kids get,” Myra Schmidt said with the fire department.
Firefighters who will be helping the parents pick out their child’s gifts said they need bikes, remote control cars and doll houses.
Meanwhile, donors like Teel just want to give families some relief during a stressful time.
“They don’t have the stockings by the fireplace or presents wrapped with pretty bows so this will give them the opportunity to celebrate,” she said.
There are three places you can drop off gift donations before Saturday: the Yukon Fire Department, the Piedmont Fire Department and the Mustang Fire Department.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma school district finds unique way to shelter students from storms
- SILVER ALERT CANCELED: Authorities issue Silver Alert for 89-year-old
- Chickasha man arrested after allegedly raping 64-year-old neighbor
- Chickasha landlord allegedly asks for rent at gunpoint
- Caught on camera, Chickasha woman’s wild ride
- Officials: One person unaccounted for following massive house fire
- JOB SEEKERS: Metro company seeking those who enjoy fresh air & outdoors
- Handgun heist in Choctaw has police searching for alleged gun thief
- Officials on the hunt for two suspected bank robbers in south OKC
- Dozens of sheriffs express disdain for new DOC plan