Lawyers give away 5,000 turkeys | News
OKLAHOMA CITY — One in six Oklahomans struggles with hunger every single day.
For the third year a group of 100 Oklahoma law firms has raised $78,000 to give away 5,000 Thanksgiving turkeys to needy families.
The turkey give-away began about 11 a.m. Thursday at the McIntyre Law Firm near SW 86th and Western.
Thousands of families lined-up and waited hours for a free turkey.
Attorney Noble McIntyre spear-headed the project.
“Of all the lawyers I know, none of us is going to miss a meal; none of us. There’s a lot of hunger. There’s a lot of hunger in Oklahoma. We have a duty to give back.” said McIntyre.
McIntyre partnered with the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma and the co-founder of Lawyers Against Hunger, David Bernstein.
“It’s an awesome feeling. I find the more you give the more you get back. It’s just an awesome feeling.” said Bernstein.
Here’s a full list of the turkey give-aways sponsored by Lawyers Against Hunger:
- November 14th Oklahoma City McIntyre Law Offices 8601 S. Western Ave.
- November 14th El Reno El Reno Fire Dept 2707 Faith Ave.
- November 15th Norman Bernstein Law Office 104 W. Gray Street
- November 16th Tulsa Iron Gate Ministries 501 S. Cincinnati
Oklahoma is among the top five states in the nation for the number of families who go hungry.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Oklahoma universities make ‘Best Values in Public Colleges’
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Man charged after allegedly attempting to steal from Wal-Mart, pulls knife on security
- Police follow footprints in the snow to find alleged thief, warning others of cold weather crimes
- Choctaw woman claims she was ripped off by driveway paver
- Oklahoma Geological Survey confirms 2.4 magnitude quake north of Luther Tuesday
- 3.0 magnitude earthquake recorded near Jones area