Routine maintenance could have prevented explosion, furnace fire | News
YUKON, Okla.- A low of 23 degrees had Chyrstal Sanchez firing up the furnace Monday morning.
She wanted the home nice and toasty for the family, including the newest addition, 3-week-old Macy Marie.
Sanchez said, ” I didn’t want the home to be ice-cold.”
An unusual odor began pouring through the vents.
Sanchez said the faulty heater exploded.
“It sounded like a gunshot,” she said. “We came outside to look and see if something was going on in the neighborhood. We went back inside and saw smoke pouring out the house. I got everybody up.”
Joshua Vershaw grabbed his toddler and newborn daughter and raced out the front door, navigating a corridor of heavy, choking smoke.
Vershaw said, “It was two feet above, solid smoke. It was strong. You could taste it, smell it. It was bad.”
Yukon Fire traced the cause to the furnace.
Fire investigators said they see it every season.
Most of these fires are preventable with some inexpensive intervention.
Yukon Fire Capt. Kent Long said, “A lack of maintenance or build up. Naturally with the use of the furnace, around this time of year, when you use it more frequently, make sure it’s in top shape.”
This is the first “furnace” call for the Yukon fire Department this season and they suspect it probably won’t be the last.
The family safely made it out of the smoke-filled house.
The American Red Cross is helping them recover.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes