Lawmaker gets national attention for food stamp reform | Health
An Oklahoma lawmaker is making headlines for proposing cutting billions from the nation’s food stamp program.
Oklahoma’s Third District Representative Frank Lucas wants to slice $20 billion over the next 10 years.
Lucas told the Tulsa World that the proposed reductions “won’t take a calorie off the plate of anyone who needs help.”
Instead, to achieve the savings, he would eliminate categorical eligibility which would impact food stamp recipients in 43 states, including Oklahoma.
Lucas said he’ll start formally writing the bill later this month.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- UPDATE: Man arrested with legs wrapped in duct tape after Chickasha bomb scare
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes
- Four recovering after being involved in wrecks related to fog
- No arrests, suspects after man found shot to death in driveway