At least 4 inmates escape from Union City facility in less than month | Crime
UNION CITY, Okla. – Four inmates fled from the Union City Community Corrections Center in less than a month, according to an official with the Oklahoma Department of Corrections.
Three of the inmates are back in custody but authorities are still searching for the fourth.
The Department of Corrections said the escapes are not connected and occurred between June 19 and July 8.
Earlier this week, authorities arrested escaped inmate Kristopher Johnson, 25, inside an Oklahoma City home.
Police said Johnson led authorities on a high-speed chase and was later involved in a standoff.
According to the Department of Corrections, Timothy Butler, 30, and Shawn Bishop, 34, also escaped but are now back in custody.
Authorities said they are still searching for Eric Ingram, 24, who disappeared July 8.
The Union City Community Corrections Center is a minimum security facility.
The Department of Corrections spokesperson Jerry Massie said most of the inmates are on the verge of being released.
A majority of them are involved in the Prisoner Public Works Program.
Some of the inmates are allowed to leave for work and then return at night.
The Department of Corrections reported one other escape this year from the facility.
Massie said in 2012 there were zero.
He emphasized the importance of tightening up the existing security measures at the facility to prevent escapes in the future.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel