McChase ends in McCrash | Crime
YUKON, Okla. - Three teens could face multiple charges after the Canadian County Sheriff’s Office said they ran away from a juvenile group home and leading police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car.
The chase ended only when they crashed into a McDonald’s on Main St. in Yukon.
Dash cam footage shows the stolen truck reach speeds up to 80 miles per hour before crashing.
The truck even hit an electrical pole, sparking a grass fire.
Undersheriff Chris West said the three inside were not even old enough to drive.
Absolutely it could have been worse,” Undersheriff West said. “That red Dodge pickup is going to weigh several thousand pounds, and then you have it going 60 to 80 miles an hour.”
Investigators said two girls and a boy stole the truck from a home in east Canadian County on W. Wilshire Rd.
The trio was running from the El Reno juvenile center’s group home located in the area.
Facility Co-Director, Dr. Bill Sharp, said the group home has an open door policy.
He sent News Channel Four this statement:
“On Sunday night three juveniles associated with the Gary E. Miller Center ran away from one of our residential facilities which is a voluntary program where the clients may leave at any time they wish. According to State regulations we are not allowed to lock the doors of hte [sic] facility. We immediately contacted law enforcement as well as the parents/guardians of the juveniles as per our policy. Unfortunately, we later learned that three juveniles had stolen a vehicle and subsequently caused substantial damage through crashing the vehicle at a local food outlet. We are fully cooperating with law enforcement in their investigation and will certainly review the incident to make sure our policies are followed.”
Now the teens could face numerous charges including unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and evading arrest.
Meanwhile, Undersheriff West hopes the chase is a wake up call.
“Anytime you can get to these youngsters before they get involved in a life of crime and they get older, it’s going to be better if you get them when they are youthful,” Undersheriff West said.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff
- UPDATE: No one injured in southwest Oklahoma City house fire, no cause confirmed
- Dogs wake man, save life in southeast Oklahoma City house fire
- UPDATE: Jackknifed semi backing up traffic on I-40 WB near S. Air Depot, leaking fuel