Warr Acres standoff ends in arrest | Crime
WARR ACRES, Okla. — Warr Acres Police spent six hours trying to negotiate with a suspect in a standoff situation late Monday evening.
The man, who is said to have mental illness, lives in the 5800 block of Redmond Avenue, which is near NW 63rd and MacArthur.
Warr Acres Police arrived about 6:30 p.m. Monday after neighbors saw the man standing in the street swinging a baseball bat and carrying a machete.
Police report they are familiar with this suspect, a man who has mental health issues.
When officers arrived the suspect went back into his home and barricaded himself inside.
After several attempts officers finally made contact with the man through a window.
Police say the suspect made several irrational statements and threatened his neighbors and himself.
After several hours of trying to coax the man out, he refused.
“We attempted to gas him out of there, but he wouldn’t come out. However it did take the fight out of him. When we went in he was sitting on the bed and was taken into custody.” said Warr Acres Police Chief Roger Patty.
Police said the only weapons they found inside the house were the machete and the baseball bat.
No one was hurt.
The man was taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police asking drivers only to report injury accidents, suspending response to others
- UPDATE: Chickasha teen facing multiple charges after high-speed chase, allegedly shooting at officers
- MORE: Wife claims man in Minco officer-involved shooting, stabbing is bipolar
- Teacher assistant arrested after touching student in McDonald’s bathroom
- Chickasha agency helping families spread holiday cheer to troops overseas
- House without power goes up in flames, 2 escape blaze unharmed
- School creates academy to teach about decision-making, community involvement
- Candle may be cause of early morning S.W. Oklahoma City house fire, no one injured
- Police: 24 children on board school bus involved in accident in southwest OKC
- Neighbors calling for action after cars crash into multiple homes