Warr Acres standoff ends in arrest | Crime
WARR ACRES, Okla. — Warr Acres Police spent six hours trying to negotiate with a suspect in a standoff situation late Monday evening.
The man, who is said to have mental illness, lives in the 5800 block of Redmond Avenue, which is near NW 63rd and MacArthur.
Warr Acres Police arrived about 6:30 p.m. Monday after neighbors saw the man standing in the street swinging a baseball bat and carrying a machete.
Police report they are familiar with this suspect, a man who has mental health issues.
When officers arrived the suspect went back into his home and barricaded himself inside.
After several attempts officers finally made contact with the man through a window.
Police say the suspect made several irrational statements and threatened his neighbors and himself.
After several hours of trying to coax the man out, he refused.
“We attempted to gas him out of there, but he wouldn’t come out. However it did take the fight out of him. When we went in he was sitting on the bed and was taken into custody.” said Warr Acres Police Chief Roger Patty.
Police said the only weapons they found inside the house were the machete and the baseball bat.
No one was hurt.
The man was taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation.
Upcoming Events near Canadian County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oklahoma woman hides meth in vagina and smuggles it into jail
- UPDATE: Woman found dead, man discovered with gunshot wound to the head
- Oklahoma police searching for machete-wielding man
- Teen inspiring others after surviving 3,500-foot fall from Oklahoma sky
- Chickasha Police arrest three in connection with drive-by shooting
- Where to celebrate St. Patty’s day in OKC
- Expect full flights and packed airports next week
- I-40 closing for “roadway testing” between Choctaw Rd. & Pott. County line this afternoon
- Man accused of raping young child found in Oklahoma
- UPDATE: Man facing several charges for abuse after seven hour standoff